Healthy Benefits of Nuts
We’re all about healthy, delicious fruit here at Pittman & Davis – and that includes nuts! Yes, you can find nuts alone or along with other fruits in our gourmet gifts, and your recipients are sure to love them.
Nut Gifts are a great choice for the health “nut” (sorry, we couldn’t resist) in your life because they’re super-good for you and the ultimate travel snack – when you choose to take along gourmet on-the-go nuts in the car or on the trail, you don’t have to worry about them going off, getting crushed, or making a mess!
How Nuts of All Kinds Benefit Your Health
What makes nuts of all kinds so good for you are their wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and organic compounds. Nuts are rich in dietary fiber, monounsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid, flavonoids, carotene, L-arginine, vitamin E, plant sterols, and minerals like copper, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, and manganese. They’re also high in antioxidants.
Here are just some of the ways Texas nuts can benefit your health:
- Nuts have cancer-fighting properties. Do you avoid nuts because of their high fat content? You might want to think again – nuts are rich in the healthy fats your body needs, including the polyunsaturated fats known as omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids contain anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to reduce the risk of developing colon, prostate, and breast cancer. Additionally, the high level of dietary fiber in nuts promotes a healthy digestion, which reduces the chances of certain types of gastrointestinal cancers.
- Nuts benefit your digestion. All nut varieties are high in fiber, which is important to the digestive process because it adds bulk to stools. This means that bowel movements move through the digestive tract smoothly because the fiber stimulates peristaltic motion in the smooth muscle of the intestine. When stool moves freely through the system, constipation is reduced, and regular bowel movements can begin. This reduces the chances of developing various digestive conditions like hemorrhoids or polyps. Furthermore, fiber acts to scrub out excess cholesterol from the body, particularly the damaging omega-6 fatty acids.
- Nuts help promote heart health. When it comes to keeping your heart healthy, nuts are some of the best things you can eat. Nuts are great for your cardiovascular system because they contain large amounts of HDL cholesterol (known as the “good” cholesterol). HDL cholesterol y reduces the presence of LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) in the blood and ensures they don’t bind on the walls of arteries and blood vessels. This helps prevent the formation of blood clots and atherosclerosis. Nuts also contain the amino acid L-arginine, which relaxes blood vessels and eases any constriction or chronic contractions, allowing your blood for flow more freely. This helps keep your blood pressure down.
- Nuts can help you keep your weight down. They may be a bit high in calories, but nuts are also high in fiber, which makes you feel full and inhibits the release of ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Plus, the nutrition they offer more than compensates for their calories. As a snack, nuts can help keep you satisfied so you don’t overeat. Just be sure to eat them in moderation (that includes some of the chocolate-dipped and other gourmet varieties you’ll find in some of Pittman & Davis’s nut gift baskets).
- Nuts benefit your brain. Nuts have been shown to combat the debilitating effects of mental disorders including Alzheimer’s disease, schizophrenia, and depression due to their omega-3 fatty acid content. These compounds are also good at reducing rheumatoid arthritis, since it is anti-inflammatory in nature, which increases the flow of blood to the brain, further increasing healthy cognitive function.
With all this and great flavor, too, go ahead and go nuts over nuts. We sure do!
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now