There’s nothing like starting the day with a cup of coffee and a slice of pie! But wait – you’re trying to make healthier choices, right? No worries…there’s nothing bad in this juicy, zesty, creamy treat with a crunchy crust! Make it head to make every morning feel like a holiday morning. (Be sure to use the removable tart pan plus parchment paper so the pie doesn’t stick.)
For the filling:
3 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. orange zest packed
¾ c. fat-free cottage cheese
¼ c. honey
1 Tbsp. oat flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
Pinch of salt
For the crust:
1 c. almonds
3 Tbsp. oat flour
2 Tbsp. natural almond butter, melted
1 Tbsp. coconut oil, softened to room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line inside of 9″ tart pan with removable bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- For the crust: in a large food processor, crush almonds until broken down but still chunky. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Stir oat flour into almonds. Add almond butter, coconut oil, and salt. Mix until crumbly. Add in egg white and to mix until mixture loses its stickiness.
- Transfer dough into prepared tart pan and press it up the sides and bottom in an even layer. Bake until tart is light golden brown and starts to pull away from sides of pan (about 15 minutes). Let cool 15 minutes.
- For the filling: Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and clean out inside of food processor.
- Add all filling ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to stir so honey is evenly distributed.
- Pour filling into cooled crust and bake until filling just begins to rise and feels set (about 35 minutes). Let cool completely to room temperature, then refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
- Slice and serve.