7 Surprising Benefits of Eating Raw Onions
Onions can make you cry (though Texas sweet onions for sale at Pittman & Davis are less likely to do that), but they’re nothing to cry over! That’s because not only are sweet onions delicious alone or as an integral part of many recipes, they’re packed with nutrients that can help reduce your risk of getting Parkinson’s Disease, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and stroke.
How Raw Onions Help You Stay Healthy
Why buy Vidalia onions or other sweet onions online from Pittman & Davis? Well, first and foremost, they’re delicious – there’s nothing like adding slices of sweet Vidalia onions to your grilled burgers and salads! Not only that, Vidalia onions and other sweet onion varieties are high in vitamin C, flavonoids, phytochemicals, and sulfuric compounds. This why including raw onions in your diet can help prevent infections and give your immunity a required boost.
Onions are low in calories, low in sodium, and free of fat and cholesterol. Known to boost bone health, heart health and protect against certain cancers. Onions contain fiber and folic acid, a B vitamin that helps the body make healthy new cells. Sweet Vidalia Onions are good for you whether they’re raw or cooked, though raw onions have higher levels of organic sulfur compounds that provide many benefits.
Here are just a few ways onions can help your health:
- Onions benefit your heart health. Onions promote heart health in many ways, including lowering your blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack risk. Sulfur acts as a natural blood thinner and prevents blood platelets from aggregating.
- Onions have anti-inflammatory properties. The sulfur found in onions give them potent anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce the risk of high blood pressure and blood clots. Onions also contain the flavonoid quercetin, an anti-inflammatory that helps decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Onions bolster up your immune system. The polyphenols in onions act as antioxidants, protecting the body against free radicals. Eliminating free radicals can help encourage a strong immune system. Onions are also high in vitamin C, which also helps to boost the immune system.
- Onions protect you from the risk of developing some cancers. Studies show that making allium vegetables (such as onions) a regular part of the diet can reduce the risk of developing certain cancers, including gastric and colorectal cancers. The quercetin in onions also guards against breast, colon, prostate, ovarian, endometrial, and lung tumors.
- Onions can help aid your digestion. Like many veggies, onions are high in fiber, which promotes good digestion and helps keep you regular. Even better, onions contain a special type of soluble fiber called oligofructose, which promotes good bacteria growth in your intestines.
- Onions can help regulate blood sugar. The sulfur in onions helps lower your blood sugar, while the chromium in the vegetable aids in regulating blood sugar. Studies show that this might be especially helpful to people with diabetes.
- Onions can help improve bone density. Does osteoporosis run in your family? Consuming onions every day may help reduce oxidative stress, boost antioxidant levels, and decrease bone loss, which may in turn prevent osteoporosis and boost bone density. This can even be effective in women who have already gone through menopause.
The bottom line? Adding more onions to your diet is an easy and delicious way to benefit your overall health! Not only do these nutrient-packed vegetables contain powerful compounds that may decrease your risk of heart disease and certain cancers and antibacterial properties that promote digestive health and immune function, they’re versatile and can be used to heighten the flavor of any savory dish. Enjoy!
Shop Fresh Food & Fruit Gifts
An incredible assortment of gourmet gifts, such as King Comice pears, smoked meats, cheeses, pastries, candies and many other specialty gift items. And, don’t forget, Standard Shipping is ALWAYS absolutely free!Shop Now